BP5 : Findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge

by - 14:49

Share your findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge. Make sure it is clear what evidence from your inquiry supports each finding


My target group of learners for my Inquiry 2021 will be my Year 12 NCEA Level 2 class. This group of learners were my target group from my 2020 Inquiry.


Initially my target group of learners fro my Inquiry for this year, was the Year 12 NCEA Level 2 class that I had taught in 2020 as Year 11 students, and who were also a part of my 2020 target group of learners.  The idea was to build and extend on what I had inquired into from the previous year.

As Year 11 students, 2/11 of the target group had gained ten achievement standard credits, and 5/11 of the target group had gained thirteen achievement standard credits; this was in addition to DGT credits that they had gained from external providers.  Of this target group of learners from 2020, 6 out of the 11 students have returned to undertake DGT Level 2 in 2021, as well as an additional six new students who are taking DGT Level 2 for the first time and not having taken the subject at NCEA Level 1.

The student challenge that I identified at the beginning of the year, was for learners to be able to write and achieve at Merit and Excellence levels for NCEA Level 2 achievement standards.  This is still the challenge.  However, the main challenge impacting student learning for my 2021 target group at the moment is actually time in class.  One of the original learners from the beginning of the year has now left.  The remaining students in my class in involved in either one or two external courses per week.  What that means for those students, is that they are offsite, all day, completing courses with external providers and gaining great success with those courses.



So, literacy is still one of the main barriers to learning.  However, there are a range of other barriers to learning, or student challenges, that have and are superseding the original challenge.  As opposed to inquiring solely into the use of Academic Writing exemplars specific to Digital Technologies to accelerate student achievement at Merit and Excellence levels, I need to adapt the inquiry and the use of Academic Writing exemplars specific to Digital Technologies to accelerate student achievement at all levels.



You May Also Like

0 Comments