Hybrid Teaching and Learning | Take 01

by - 16:06

I've been thinking of ways to teach my students who are in front of me in the classroom, as well as enabling my learners to access the learning instructions either in real time from home, or as a rewindable resource to refer back to.

In order to ensure that I am engaging with the learners in front of me, while recording snippets of learning in Google Meets throughout the lesson, I changed the angle of my desk to be side on to the students in class.

I recorded four Google Meets during the course of the lesson with my NCEA Level 1 DGT Class.  Each Google Meet addressed a different purpose in the teaching and learning process.


The first recording is an example of what I had intended prior to the lesson.  That being, that I would record the first 5+ minutes of the lesson instructions, which would then be available to students working offsite and online.  




The second recording was a refresher of how to access the learning videos in LearnCoach, for students who may not have enrolled into the LearnCoach course yet.




The third recording, was when I decided to record an interaction between myself and one of the students, in order to respond to her query around capturing evidence for her work.  This wasn't initially what I had intended in terms of recording the Google Meets while in class.  However, it made perfect sense to capture the teaching and learning, both for the student who asked the question, as well as other students who may also want to know the answer to the same question.




The last recording for the session, was to assist students on how to access the software application required for this unit of work.



The following are a couple of photos of the setup to enable me to record myself in the Google Meets, and still face my learners sitting in front of me in the classroom.




Next Steps

It would be useful to get student voice and feedback of students in the classroom, as well as students who were absent from school today.  I'm interested to know how the students in the classroom were impacted by what I was doing as a teaching strategy to address the learning needs of those onsite and at home.  I'm also interested to know how the students at home, feel about the Meet recordings, and whether these are sufficient to progress the learning that they missed in class today.


You May Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Definitely a good trial to carry out Hinerau and I am interested on what the students feedback (from home and onsite) will say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I'm trying to figure out how to make this way of delivery sustainable for the class, and I'm sure that the student feedback will help to direct the movements forward.

      Delete