Sydney EdTech Conference 2018 - VTaL Tracking Sheets

by - 22:54

I had the pleasure of attending the Sydney EdTech Conference with fellow MIT 2018 colleagues.  In addition to attending the conference and hearing from various presenters and participating in different workshops, it was also an opportunity to share some of my own practice with a completely new audience.


The focus of my workshop was VTaL Visible Teaching and Learning Tracking Sheets.  This was the same workshop that I had delivered at the Auckland EdTech Conference earlier in the year.  However, I expected that I would have a different audience and was interested to see how receptive the workshop participants would be.


As well as sharing the use of VTaL Tracking Sheets through my Digital Technologies Google Site, I was also interested to know how visible, my teaching and learning resources were to a new audience.  Fourteen of the workshop attendees participated in a Kahoot exercise at the conclusion of the workshop with the following responses to the Kahoot questions about VTaL during my session, after spending time navigating through my Digital Technologies Subject Google Site.

Q - What is the purpose of the Course Overview in the Digital Technologies site?
A - To have an overview of the learning over the year. 13/14 = 93%

Q - What is the purpose of the Year Level Calendars in the Digital Technologies site?
A - To share learning instructions for a particular day and time.  4/14 = 29%

Q - What is the purpose of the Communities in the Digital Technologies site?
A - Students sharing their work as exemplars for their peers.  13/14 = 93%

Q - What is the purpose of linking the Tracking Sheet or Grade Sheets in the Calendar posts?
A - Students can check their progress against current tasks.  12/14 = 86%

Q - What is the purpose of the embedding VTaL resources into sites, such as the DigiTech site?
A - To enable access to learning and to accelerate achievement. 10/14 = 71%

It was reassuring to learn that many of the workshop participants were able to navigate to various sections of my subject site, and also understood the purpose of many of the VTaL tools that are embedded in my site.  I also learnt and gained an appreciation for the similarities and differences of different tools that are used by many of our Australian colleagues.  One of those is the extensive use of Google Classroom, which is a tool that I am not currently using myself.

The EdTech Presentation feedback was generally pretty constructive, as shown below.






You May Also Like

0 Comments