BP4 : Preliminary findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge

by - 17:55

Begin to collect evidence and data  and come to the next session ready to share your preliminary findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge i.e. using your baseline student data and evidence

My target group of learners for my Inquiry 2021 will be my Year 12 NCEA Level 2 class. This group of learners were my target group from my 2020 Inquiry.


The following are two examples of evidence that I am in the process collecting to demonstrate my preliminary findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge.


I asked the student to highlight and comment on various aspects of the example tasks within the slide deck, to highlight the various features of that particular aspect of SOLO Taxonomy.  The purpose of this exercise was to see whether or not the student understood the exemplars that were provided, and connect these to future work.

Whilst the student found the exercise to be useful.  It was also extremely time consuming.  So, in terms of this approach being meaningful for the student to use in future tasks or assessments, the timeliness of the task detracted away from the purpose or which the task was intended.  That is, very little work and essentially assessment work, would get completed if we focussed so much time on deconstructing and understanding the Academic Writing model, by following the approach that I'd set out for the student.  A classic example of 'Expectation' v 'Reality'!


Explanation Writing Poster for Digital Technologies

I asked the students to use the Explanation Writing Poster for Digital Technologies, and highlight to text within their current Assessment Task using the same colour codes from the poster, as a means of gaining a better understanding of the assessment instructions.

The students are still in the middle of undertaking this process.  However, initial discussions that I have had with the students of terms of improving understanding of the assessment, is that this process has really useful.  I am hoping to see what their understanding of the assessment task actually is, through inquiry questions, once this approach has been completed.






You May Also Like

0 Comments