EMR Collaborative Project - The StartUp!

by - 00:20

On the 13th February, the Head of Science, Jay Malhotra, presented an opportunity for other Learning Areas to collaborate with Science and an external provider, Experiencing Marine Reserves (EMR), on a project; A national programme of experiential learning about marine conservation, with three of our Year 10 classes.

Even though I'd started a project with my Year 10 students with the context of 'Entertainment' I was happy to switch from that context, and jump on board with the integrated unit of work.  However, I'd already started teaching the students, as this was the class that I'd been teaching during JumpStart, so was really flying by the seat of my pants.

I spoke to the students in today's lesson about the idea of changing the context from 'Entertainment' to 'Experiencing Marine Reserves'.  I explained that it is likely that the students may be learning about this topic in some of their other subjects.  They were open to the idea of the context change.  At this stage, the students had only participating in one learning activity relating to 'Entertainment', so it wasn't a lot of work to change.  During JumpStart, the focus had been on the skills required to develop the outcome; that being a Multi-level Game.

Student buy-in has been instrumental in moving forward with the EMR context.







You May Also Like

0 Comments