BP1 : What I'm aiming to learn about Inquiry this year

by - 18:28

The following are some musings on what I'm aiming to learn about inquiry this year.  Some of these musings are either about what I'm aiming to learn about the process of inquiry, or what I'm aiming to learn from different outcomes within the inquiry.

Identifying valued learning outcomes (VLOs) to focus on

  • I'm interested to know about ways to identify valued learning outcomes associated with measuring student engagement throughout the year.  At this stage, I've been having discussions with students, and asking them to anonymously drop emojis to communicate how they feel about different questions I've asked them about the learning process (connected to my inquiry) ... 
  • Now that I've written that last statement, I'm actually wondering whether I'm asking the students the right questions in the first place.  
Some direction here may be useful to gauge whether I'm asking the right questions, and also identifying valued learning outcomes.

Profiling students learning in those VLOs

  • In terms of profiling students; especially my NCEA level students, I generally tend to build profiles around previous achievement data, ethnicity, age, reason for taking the subject, career pathways (if known) etc.  It is generally really data based.
  • Other profiling methods that I use but don't necessarily measure or record, is asking about whanau and siblings; especially if they collect younger siblings from school, where they live and how they come to school, interests outside of school, interests in music etc.  These are usually casual conversation depending on the student that I'm talking with.  I will always ask students new to Tamaki College, what school they attended previously, why they left that school, and who they're living with.
I'm starting to wonder whether I'm profiling students appropriately according to the VLOs, or whether I'm just generating profiles based on how I've always done it.  Maybe I am, maybe I'm not ... I'm a bit Corona-wired at the moment to tackle this today.

Generating hypotheses (especially teaching)

  • This is a good one.  As soon as an idea pops into my head that relates to improving teaching and learning, I tend to launch into it head-on.  Not to say that I don't come up with good or useful ideas every now and again, but I probably don't spend enough time discussing hypotheses.  A lightbulb goes off, whilst simultaneously considering what's on top right now as a mum, middle leader, mum, classroom teacher, mum, CoL teacher, mum, sister, aunty blah blah blah (you get the picture) and then the next minute you know, I'm fully executing whatever the idea was.  Yes I know and understand that as teachers we're all balancing a juggling act.  I guess I'm just reflecting on why I default straight into the 'doing' and that I need to spend more time thinking about the 'what' 'why' and 'how'.

I really need to be having more discussions around hypotheses before executing ideas.  Taking time to smell the roses or so to speak, and talking about what others think of the roses, and approaches they might consider, suggest or take.

Testing hypotheses (investigating own teaching)

  • I have a relatively positive relationship with my senior students, including getting their feedback or opinions on what is working in terms of supporting their learning.  
  • I do wonder whether I am doing this enough though (obtaining student feedback at regular intervals), and whether I'm getting feedback relative to hypothesis about teaching leading to student outcomes. 

I think I'm going to tag this section of Testing hypotheses leading on from Generating hypotheses.  Other musings I'm having is 'what to test' and 'how to test', and executing the teaching and learning within the 'how to test' process.

Using research literature and other sources to identify more effective approaches

  • I really enjoyed talking with Karen and Christine during our last CoL meeting about our inquiry ideas etc.  I know that in previous CoL meetings we would often break off into smaller groups according to our achievement challenges that our inquiry linked to.  Sometimes this worked for me, and sometimes it didn't.  I think I enjoyed the conversations with Karen and Christine, because we share and understand the same teaching and learning environment, which meant that I could engage in the conversation straight away without having to deconstruct my thinking before communicating my ideas.  That's not to say that I don't find conversations with my colleagues outside of school meaningful and interesting, it's just easier to platform ideas with my Tamaki College colleagues first in terms of identifying more effective approaches to shifting achievement.
  • I had the most amazing couple of sessions with Danni sharing ideas about our different inquiries.  I loved visiting Danni's students during one of Danni's Class on Air sessions.  I'm yet to articulate my musings around this, but it will happen!

I guess what I've figured out or am figuring out is different ways that enables me to progress forward with efficient and effective intent.  That being to connect with like-people to identify and cement initial ideas, then connect with un-like people to introduce the broader perspective, and hopefully the next move will be use these platforms to identify research literature that could be most useful to my inquiry.  Well that's my idea at this stage anyway.

I've also talked with my Tamaki College CoL colleagues about whether we're able to meet on a semi-regular basis to chew the fat over our inquiries and give each other some critical feedback.  We've pencilled this in and will see how we go.


More Aspects of Inquiry

In terms of the following aspects of inquiry, I'm considering what I'm aiming to learn about them this year based on how the initial stages unravel and what I learn to start with.  I'll revisit these sections a little later on.
  • Implementing new approaches
  • Monitoring (and tweaking) new approaches
  • Evaluate shifts in own teaching
  • Evaluate shifts in student learning
  • Keep a clear and detailed record of all stages of inquiry




You May Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Hi Hinerau
    I enjoyed reading your evaluation on your last year's inquiry and where you intend to go to this year.

    One comment you made about profiling your students stood out to me, that is, not documenting and using them to take you on. Would those information be valuable to you and in what way? I find the qualitative & formative information from my kids very helpful in quiding me. For example, my kids commented last year that they were uncomfortable (shame) in me getting them to read something in front of others because of their pronunciation as ESOL kids. That helped me eased off from there because I knew of their discomfort. It was a strategy that engaged a lot on when we read & I didn't know their feelings. I had some few other examples but my point is, it might be helpful if you acquire & use some of those formative information that our kids tell us.

    Another one is related to generating hypotheses and using more evidence-based information from literature (and other experts) to verify your own personal hypotheses. How confident would you if you get those. I found that not only I felt verified with my own personal thinking knowing thatt researches had been done there, but I felt enriched and expanded as a teacher because I know more. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Mele, thank you for your full and detailed blog comment. The part that resonates with me most, is evidence-based information from literature. I am so glad that Fiona, Aaron and Allen have set up a Google form to allow us to request readings relevant to the work we are focussing on at any given time. I enjoy having other perspectives, and also referring to literature that aligns or is a contrast from the work that I am doing. What I don't enjoy doing, is sourcing the literature as I find this cumbersome and time consuming. So, as you can imagine, I'm glad that an avenue has been set up for us to be able to source information fast.
      I also enjoy your perspective and feedback in regular discussions, such as our CoL meetings both at Tamaki College and also the wider CoL meetings. I look forward to enjoying more of those :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Hinerau,
    I appreciate your blogpost and I feel like you've offered us a window into your mind which is great! I like the way you unpacked how you generate hypotheses, you've answered your question. The 'Theory of Learning' pops into my mind when I hear what you are saying and it might good to revisit this PD. In saying that I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Dorothy, I like what you've commented on in terms of Theory of Learning. I think it is a classic case of taking the time to digest and unpack the journey, in order to make the most of the journey, as opposed to rushing to the destination. I will take your feedback on board, reflect back on Theory of Learning pedagogies. :)

      Delete