Making the Learning 'Visible' for Parents as well as Students

by - 12:58

I'm continually working on ways to make learning on my site more visible for parents.  The whole idea is that parents (of senior students) would be able to see an overview of the year, be able to identify the standards that their child is entered into, and see what learning activities their child would be completing on a particular day.  A similar setup is in place for the junior levels on my site as well.  The overview idea came from resources I'd seen on other colleagues sites, Venini Thaver and Karen Ferguson.  The standard entries is just a way for parents to have an idea of the standards that their child is entered into, relative to the overview for the year.  The hyperlinked learning activities within a Google calendar is a concept I've been using for the past 3-4 years.

The learning activities are hyperlinked into events in a Google calendar.  This is one example of a rewindable learning resource.  I tend to load learning activities for the week ahead.  Students, parents and other stakeholders can view the learning activities for the week, as well as learning activities for previous days and weeks.  Extremely useful when a student has been absent for any particular reason!

I'd be interested to know if the learning truly does look visible; both for parents, and other stakeholders.  The image below links to the NCEA Level 2 Overview and Calendar in my DigiTech site.


You May Also Like

0 Comments