BP6 : Building a profile of students' learning from discussions with learners

by - 19:52

Explain how some of the data you have used to build a profile of the students’ learning will be used as baseline data at the end of the year.

My target group of learners for my Inquiry 2020 will be my Year 11 NCEA Level 1 class. I intend inquiring into the process of using the LearnCoach online programs (content) and VTaL Visible Teaching and Learning (workflow) to accelerate student achievement for Tamaki College students undertaking courses in Digital Technologies NCEA Levels 1, 2 and 3.



When I looked at the Tracking Sheet on 22 June (shown below), there were still a handful of learners who were not showing any shifts in terms of work output and task completion.  This was after setting strict deadlines in place for the individual tasks, providing specific feedback and feedforward to the learners of what they needed to do to progress forward with their work, and also emailing the students respond to the feedback that I had provided them with, and give an explanation as to why they haven't finished the work.  It was time to have a chat.



I met with the learners individually.  When I asked them why they haven't responded to my feedback, or why they haven't updated their work, these were the following responses:

Student 1 - "I don't understand the feedback.  I don't understand what you're asking me to do.  I prefer talking to you one to one instead of ".

From my observations in class time, I knew that this learner was very capable at undertaking the coding tasks.  I often needed to prompt them to stay on track, but I knew that they could cope with the coding tasks.  So I was quite perplexed as to why they were not updating their work based on the feedback that I was providing them with.

Student 2 - "I don't know why Miss." [In response to me inquiring into the way that they prefer to learn]  "I don't mind, I'll do whatever you ask me to".

As the conversation continued, I realised how difficult it was for this student to freely express how they felt, and also, they didn't like to ask for any sort of feedback or help.  We talked about their favourite subject, why it was their favourite subject, and what we could do that might be similar and enable them to complete work.

Student 3 - "I know what to do Miss".

This student is playing catchup due to ongoing absence from class.  I know this student to be an able student, who is able to complete tasks when they are at school and focussed on the work.



Following the discussions that I had with the three learners, I sat with Student 1 during class time, which they were happy for.  I noticed that when we were working together on a section of the task, that the student would stop when they were not able to spell a word or if they were unsure of the grammar.  They would literally stop working.  They wouldn't try to spell the word, nor would they try to find out how the word was spelt, as a coping strategy and means of continuing to work.  They would just stop working.  I sat and explained numerous times, that they were not being assessed on their ability to spell, or their grammar.  I only wanted them to demonstrate that they understood that section of work.  I prompted the learner to keep writing, even though they misspelt the words.  This took a bit of convincing.  Once I managed to get them to continue writing, they finished the sentence, and could see the spell check options that popped up to correct the words.  This made them happy, and also enabled them to overcome the hurdle of spelling and grammar.  However, this only occurred when I sat with the learner.  Almost as though my presence, prompting and ongoing positive feedback is what enabled the learner to continue with the work.



My next steps are to use the information obtained from the discussions with learners and strategies applied in class, to enable learners to progress with learning tasks without the need for me to sit with them the whole time; essentially, developing strategies for the learners to become more empowered and self sufficient in their learning and not dependent on me to do work.  In addition, the strategies need to be developed that still enables learners to know that they are able to ask for help and feedback, but that they don't need to wait for me to prompt them, in order to attempt learning activities.

I may look at developing a matrix in conjunction with the learners, to prompt student learning.  I will put together a draft of this over the holiday break, and the discussion with learners when I see them again at the beginning of Term 3.




You May Also Like

0 Comments