KPMG Connecting and Design Thinking - MIT May 2018

by - 18:20



Today's MIT @ KPMG session involved a lot of reflection about what I've inquired into so far, what the current state of the national looks like with regards to the tool that I am developing, and where to from here ...

Who does this Moonshot project involve?

Purpose: to identify my tribe/team/collaborators

  • Who am I collaborating with on this project?
  • Who are my team?
  • Who has a voice in this project?

Who are the Who?


  • Learners: exactly who
  • Colleagues: co-designers, collaborators, sounding boards etc
  • Experts: who is being invited to add expert opinion

Original Stakeholders


The original stakeholders (previously blogged) are outlined below:

  • Ann/Dorothy - Meet with at PD, gained feedback about tool design
  • App Developers - Meet with Dave/Korene Letele, and gained feedback about tool design
  • Financiers - No longer relevant as I don't need financial backing to develop the tool
  • Sue/Fusion - Not directly relevant to the development of this particular VTaL tool which is targeted towards Teachers and Teaching Practitioners
  • CORE Middle Leaders - Need to consult
  • SLT - Yet to have discussions
  • Teachers - Yet to have specific discussions
  • Families - Not directly relevant to the development of this particular VTaL took which is targeted towards Teachers and Teaching Practitioners

NEW Stakeholders


  • NEW stakeholders to the mix include:
  • NEW - Jim Sill, EdTech, referred me to Kimberley who has shown interest in attending my Sydney GAFE session
  • NEW - Wayne Poncia, Hapara
  • NEW - Andrew Corney SCT Tauranga Boys College
  • NEW - Kalisha Paketama, Frances Kolo, Tamaki College First Year Teachers

Content for the Tool - Stakeholder Feedback

What are the right questions to ask in order to determine appropriate content for the tool?  
How do I ask the questions, in a way that will get me the answers?

I think the scope for identifying appropriate questions can and will be determined from a number of sources.  I gained feedback from a Toolkit Session I ran on VTaL at the beginning of 2017 with staff either new to Tamaki College, or staff who were generally interested in VTaL.  It also makes sense to me to touch base with our newer staff, to find out from them what would be useful as beginning teachers.  Not to say that the feedback should be limited to these sources, but would hopefully help focus the next tier of stakeholder conversations.

Tool Design

Developing the tool itself isn't that difficult for me.  What I do need to consider carefully though is design features (colour schemes, functionality, aesthetics, layout etc).  There is no point in having robust content within the tool, if the way the tool functions and looks is terrible for the end users.  Ironically, this is a conversation I constantly have with my students as a Technology teacher.

There's also the fact that I quickly threw together an original prototype of the tool eg. an original VTaL Google site, when I first launched the VTaL Google+ community.  It dawned on me that the Google+ community was intended to enable users to share and communicate, which is vastly different to a site (even though there may be similar features).  Stakeholder feedback on the design of the original site would also be invaluable, in order to move forward.

Next Steps

It is clear to me that my team of collaborators and original stakeholders has evolved from the beginning of the this year, or even last year when I first started promoting VTaL.  Stakeholder feedback from my current and new stakeholder base on content for the tool, and tool design are what I need to focus on next.  This is likely to include not just the content of the tool eg. the site, but the templates of various VTaL components that I am likely to embed into the site.  A timely process, but also an important and necessary process, if the tool is to be effective for users!



You May Also Like

0 Comments