Differentiation for Remote Learning during Lockdown

by - 13:31

 1101DT Lesson 25 March 2020

Google Hangout Video Link

Lesson Sequence in the Google Hangout

The lesson sequence in the Google Hangout accessible through the video link, includes the following:
  1. Teacher (myself) - Instructing and demonstrating
  2. Learner - Following instructions
  3. Learner - Completing a task
  4. Learner - Capturing evidence of the task
  5. Learner - Submitting the task
  6. Teacher - Checking work and marking
  7. Learner - Sharing work in the Year 11 DigiTech Google+ Community
  8. Teacher - Asking for feedback of the lesson


Teacher Reflection

After undertaking the lesson with this learner, I understood that this particular learner's progress would accelerate (which is excellent for Olever!) and that other learners in the class may not progress at the same stage as Olever in their learning journey.  Therefore, I need to investigate ways to address the staggered progress by looking into Differentiation and seeing how I can adapt that to suit Remote Learning.

Differentiation

The following is a blog post about Differentiation that I came across quite a few years back, which I think will be really useful https://stivodifferentiation.wordpress.com/differentiation-tips/.  

In particular, the section on Differentiation by task would be particularly useful.  I find within the classroom setting that students would complete tasks at a different pace to each other, and therefore achievement would occur at a different pace for different learners.  

My experience of remote teaching in Week 1 of Lockdown, showed that students who joined the hangout for their session, often completed tasks quickly, enabling me to turn over formative feedback quickly for the student, who after making changes would achieve that particular aspect of the task.

Tracking Student Progress

The following is an example of work completed by a student during Week 1 of Lockdown in relation to the other students in their class who were not able to join the hangouts that week.


My students are used to tracking sheets in our classes.  Usually I use a traffic light system of Green to show that aspect of the task meets the criteria, Orange to show that the task is either work in progress, or that I have sent the work back to the student with formative feedback for changes to be made, and Red to show that the task hasn't been started.  In this particular case, the tasks are not directly related to assessment criteria, and therefore I opted to go for a different colour scheme, so as to not confuse the students about the summative feedback that they were being provided with.

Differentiation 

to Address Gaps in Student Progress Across a Class

Group Work and Collaboration: One of the teaching strategies that I am going to trial in the remote learning setting is group work and collaboration.  

Tracking Sheets: I am going to use the tracking sheets, to enable myself and my learners to identify who is working on the same tasks and then I will group the students accordingly.

Year Level Google+ Community: I intend referencing the Year Level Google+ community, so that students can refer to each others (completed and assessed) work, as guidelines of the expectations for completing tasks.  

Chat Function in the Hangout: I think I'll aim to have the students within a particular group, talk to each other via the chat function in the hangout, to share ideas with each other.  The group may be pairs or threes, I'll try to keep this small.  While small groups are working together, I am going to interact with a small group of learners at one time, or that is the intention anyway.

Wish me luck!


Google Hangouts - Tips and Tricks


  • If neither you or your student or students are interacting in the hangout, ask one of the students to go into presentation mode, otherwise the recording will show yourself (as the hangout owner) for long chunks of time in the recording
  • Stay in the hangout and let the students know that you're still there.  That way they can complete the work that you've set for them, but they also know that they can ask you for help.











You May Also Like

0 Comments